Home to one of the largest and most precise machine shops.
Steel America is a national leader in heavy machining and custom steel fabrication for the military, marine, power, and hydro markets. Our machine shop specializes in tight-tolerance and specialty machining for the marine, power, hydro, and military markets. Our versatile team of skilled tradesmen allows us to provide innovative solutions and complete a project with efficiency while staying under budget. We have a highly-skilled project management team with a stellar reputation for quality, schedule and budget. With roughly 47,000 square feet of covered work space, a 100-ton lift capacity, and one of the largest CNC lathes in production, we have the capability to turn shafts up to 95’ in length, 144″ swing, and up to 200-Tons between centers. Our workforce performs work on different types of metal, including aluminum, copper-nickel alloys, high-strength alloys, and a new nickel aluminum bronze procedure.
MAJOR EQUIPMENT USED
- CNC – Betts Lathe – 95′ between centers; 144″ swing; 200-ton capacity
- CNC – Betts Lathe – 75′ between centers; 75″ swing; 75-ton capacity
- 60-Ton Horizontal Boring Mill
INDUSTRY STANDARDS MET
- NAVSEA certified rudderstock and propulsion shaft facility
- NAVSEA/MARMC compliant ISO 9001-2008 (QMS)
- NAVSEA certified welders MIL-STD 248/278
- ASME, AWS, and ABS certified welders on staff