Steel America is a custom steel fabrication shop and large scale machining service provider with complex mechanical and electrical capabilities. It has a unique ability to fabricate heavy, high-cube structures, up to 1,000 metric tons in modular form, for delivery by barge directly from the shop to waterborne project locations. With in-house estimating, engineering, and project management, each project is assured of on-time, on-budget completion to exacting standards. Quality and inspection oversight is performed at each step of the project beginning with material receipt and inspection, fit-up, welding, coatings, and then final delivery. Experience, expertise, and equipment define Steel America as the premier fabrication and machine shop.
Founded in 1875, Steel America’s parent company, Colonna’s Shipyard Inc., opened its doors as a full-service ship repair facility located on the Eastern branch of the Elizabeth River. In the early 90’s, Steel America branched off as a division of C.S.I. to meet market demands for industrial plant expansions and other on-shore fabrication projects. Over time, Steel America developed further capabilities and certifications to meet the market demand in other sectors including marine infrastructure, power generating stations, industrial plants, oil & gas components and civil structures. Steel America continues to excel and exceed customer satisfaction while still growing sales and annual revenue figures by double digit numbers. Steel America has developed into one of the leading fabrication shops on the East Coast, and one of the leading and most precise machine shops in the United States.
Steel America’s Parent/Sister Companies:
- AISC/AWS Certified Facility
- NAVSEA Certified Rudderstock and Propulsion Shaft Repair Facility
- NAVSEA/MARMC Compliant ISO 9001:2008 (QMS)
- NAVSEA – Master Ship Repair Facility (MSRA)
- NAVSEA – Authorized Boat Repair (ABR)
- America Bureau of Shipping (ABS) ESP Hull
- ABS Certified Tailshaft Cladding and Repair by Welding Facility (5-Year)
- ASME, AWS, ABS Certified Welders
- NAVSEA Certified Welders Mil-STD 248/278
- On-Site Certified Welding & NDT Inspectors IAW ASNT TC-1A (VT/MT/PT/UT) and AWS CWI
- Welding Engineer and Welder Testing and Training Center
- Apprenticeship Program for various trades
- SSPC QP-1 Certified Field Application of Coatings and Complex Structures
Quality Assurance Manual, Safety and Training Manuals, and ISO 9002 Compliance Audit available upon request.
The marine market is a very natural fit for Steel America due to its CSI roots, proximity to the water, and comprehensive knowledge of the industry. Moving forward, Steel America is making a concerted effort to cultivate relationships and develop new business around the following products to meet the needs of the marine market: Caisson Gates, Heavy Infrastructure Fabrications, Aircraft Carrier support project, Jigs & Fixtures, Vessels & Dry Dock Panels, Ship Components, Sponsons
The power industry contains a very broad and diverse set of customers. The products and services Steel America would like to market by customer group include:
- Fabrications for New and Existing Power Plants: Ductwork, Pipe Spools & Racks, Stacks, Air Cooled Condensers with Components, Heat Recovery Steam Generators, Vessels, Emissions Control Modules.
- Onsite Shutdown Support: Fabricate and Assemble Equipment Skid Mount Packages, Provide an Onsite Team to Install Skid Packages, Provide Labor for Shutdown Work
- Hydro: Flood Control Gates, Hydro Components
The industrial sector was the foundation for developing the Steel America division of C.S.I. Steel America’s heavy lift capacity and top-notch welders and machinists are what sets Steel America from its competitors. The products and services Steel America would like to market by customer group include: ductwork, large scale fabrications, and facility operations.