Steel America is a national leader in heavy machining and custom steel fabrication for the military, marine, power, and hydro markets. Our machine shop specializes in tight-tolerance and specialty machining for the marine, power, hydro, and military markets. Our versatile team of skilled tradesmen and women allow us to provide innovative solutions and complete a project with efficiency while staying under budget.We have a highly-skilled project management team with a stellar reputation for quality, schedule and budget. With roughly 47,000 square feet of covered work space, a 100-ton lift capacity, and one of the largest CNC lathes in production, we have the capability to turn shafts up to 95’ in length, 144” swing, and up to 200-Tons between centers. Our workforce performs work on multiple different types of metal, including aluminum, copper-nickel alloys, high-strength alloys, and a new nickel aluminum bronze procedure.
Steel America has over 33,000 square feet of machining space under roof.
Why choose Steel America?:
- Project Management – We work closely with customers to establish timelines, quality standards, and communication channels to ensure smooth, on-time project execution.
- Expertise – Over 140 years of experience and an extensive industry network of support allows our machine shop team to shine.
- Versatility – Our wide-range of machines and equipment allow our team to successfully accomplish a variety of projects simultaneously without affecting project schedules.
- Delivery – Our geographical location allows for project delivery via truck (I-64 and I-95 corridor), rail, or barge (located on the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River)
Major Equipment Used:
- CNC – Betts Lathe – 95′ between centers; 144″ swing; 200-ton capacity
- CNC – Betts Lathe – 75′ between centers; 75″ swing; 75-ton capacity
- 60-Ton Horizontal Boring Mill
Industry Standards Met:
- NAVSEA certified rudderstock and propulsion shaft facility
- NAVSEA/MARMC compliant ISO 9001-2008 (QMS)
- NAVSEA certified welders MIL-STD 248/278
- ASME, AWS, and ABS certified welders on staff