Our fabrication shop is among the best equipped, most modern, and capable in the nation. With 33,500 square feet of covered work space, and a 100-ton lift capacity, we can fabricate structures up from simple shapes to complex superstructures for modular construction with ease and efficiency. We have a highly-skilled project management team with a stellar reputation for quality, schedule, and budget. Our capabilities include shaping and bending up to 11 feet of ½” plate or up to 7 feet of ¾” plate; simultaneous multi-cutting capabilities; CNC plate cutting on 10’ x 50’ steel plate up to 4” thick; saw cutting on I-beams, angle, and up to 20” diameter pipe, grinding and fitting. Our workforce is capable of fabricating projects out of carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and even titanium.
Steel America has a 33,500 square foot fabrication shop.
Why Choose Steel America?:
- Project Management – We work closely with our customers to establish timelines, quality standards, and communication channels to ensure smooth and on-time project execution.
- Expertise – Over 140 years of experience and an extensive industry network of support allows our fabrication shop team to shine.
- Versatility – Our wide-range of machines and equipment allow the Steel America team to successfully accomplish a variety of different project simultaneously without affecting project schedules.
- Delivery – Our geographical location allows for project delivery via truck (I-64 and I-95 corridor), rail, or barge (located on the eastern branch of the Elizabeth River)
Major Equipment Used:
- Messer Multi-Process Center 200 Plasma Cutting System – Capable of CNC cutting or simultaneous weld prep beveling up to 10′ x 50′ plates. Pre-computer programmed “TrueShape” Automatic Nesting Package. Equipped with TrueHole technology. Travel speeds up to 1,00 IPM. Allows linkage to CAD drawings, HyDefinition cutting (can make up to 53”-3” effective cut lengths with repeatable accuracy of +/- 0.005” [0.0025” within any 72’ move]), and virtually dross free cuts up to 2″ in mild steels (up to 4″ with oxy-fuel head).
- Magnetic Plate and Part-Handling System
- Submerged arc and automated tractor welding
- FARO Vantage Laser Tracker
*For a full list of our equipment, please call or e-mail us and we would be happy to send it to you digitally.
Industry Standards Met:
- AISC (American Institute of Steel Construction) certified facility
- AWS (American Welding Society) certified facility
- NAVSEA – Master Ship Repair Facility (MRSA)
- NAVSEA – Authorized Boat Repair (ABR)
- ASME, AWS, & ABS certified welders
- SSPC QP-1 Certified Field Application of Coatings and Complex Structures